Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tucker's Cabinet

Tucker LOVES to help Mommy in the kitchen! Whether it's unloading the dishwasher....


retrieving items from the refrigerator.....

or cabinets....


or helping with the cooking....

Tucker jumps in where ever he is needed!

After having him help me this morning in the kitchen, I decided that maybe this:

isn't as safe as it should be!

Yes, Wes and I are in full baby-proof mode, but we're a little behind. We haven't installed locks on the cabinet doors yet. And even when we do, Tucker needs something to do while in the kitchen with Mommy. Giving him a Tupperware container and some wooden spoons holds his ever-changing attention for about 27 seconds! So, this morning Mommy and Tucker made him his own kitchen cabinet.

Now, let me first tell you that my cabinet space is limited as it is. My kitchen doesn't have a pantry, so the cabinets I have need to store dishes, food, Tupperware, serve-ware, crock pots, the griddle, etc. (Luckily I do have a storage space in the basement that houses a shelf with larger serve-ware and other items). So it definitely took some creative finagling to open up an entire cabinet for TuckerBug, but his happiness (and contentedness so Mommy can get small things done in the kitchen) is totally worth it!

After coming up with some perfect items for Tucker's cabinet, some rarely used Tupperware containers, a pitcher, an old colander, some measuring spoons, an extra dish washing basket, and a veggie scrubber, a couple turkey baster, and a Fudpucker's cup just for fun.....

Tucker now has his very own kitchen cabinet!

I think he approves!

I'm thinking this will last for a few days before I'll have to mix it up a little and put some new items in. I'm also hoping that the day he decides to crawl in there himself I have my camera handy!


What do you all do to keep your lil one occupied in the kitchen? Creative/fun ideas are always welcome! :)

2 comments:

melissaballard said...

Good thinkin' Mama! We did this for Eli too - and it STILL works. When Tucker gets older you can pull a chair up and let him "work" on the counter next to you. We do that a lot and Eli really gets a kick out of it. I just have to remember to keep the knives out of reach...

katie said...

you are doing better than us...we JUST baby proofed like last week:) and Caden has his own drawer too!