Friday, December 11, 2009

Our First Real Scare

Yup, it happened a couple nights ago...

Tucker has had some sort of congestion since he was about two weeks old. Our pediatrician (who I LOVE!) says it completely normal, some babies get that way and it's just from their small nasal passages and all the "new" stuff they have to breath in. That's pretty much what my google searches for "infant congestion" have yielded as well. Most of the testimonies that I've read indicate that somewhere around 4 months or so, the baby magically stops being congested. I've asked if this is an indication that allergies are in our future and our pediatrician says 'possibly, possibly not.' Apparently only time will tell...

Tucker's congestion does not stay in the nose, nor is that even it's primary residence. He never has a runny nose and I can rarely get anything suctioned out of his nose. His congestion is more in his throat, or by the sounds of it, somewhere in between his nose and throat (if that makes any sense). The most aggravating symptom is that he has a hard time swallowing the congestion when it drains. I've suctioned more "stuff" out of his mouth than his nose. It's very painful to watch him have so much trouble trying to swallow the thick mucus/saliva.... But, it's never been too much of an issue.

However, over the past few days, Tucker has been more congested than usual. And, he has just been acting like he doesn't feel good. He has also been sleeping more through the day than usual. Then, about midnight Tuesday night, I heard him in his bassinet making some noises as though he was struggling to breath. I jumped up and quickly picked him up. I held him close and patted his back telling him, "Get it down Baby," assuming he was having one of his moments where he has difficulty swallowing. (As a side note, the head of his bassinet is elevated and he sleeps on a sleep wedge/positioner to help with the congestion and the drainage, and we have a cool mist humidifier in our room.) He was having difficulty swallowing, but it was so much mucus/saliva that he was having a lot of difficulty breathing. I tried to remain calm and suction him out. Seeing how fast I bolted to the nursery to grab his suction bulb, Wes got up and followed me. I suctioned him several times and it didn't seem to be helping him to breath... Tucker's eyes were watering and he was looking at me and I could see the fear in his eyes. I felt myself start to shake, but tried to remain calm. After suctioning him a few more times I said to Wes, "I'm starting to get worried!" Thankfully, my husband is very grounded and told me to just keep doing what I was doing and stay calm. A couple more suctions and Tucker was able to breath easier. He was okay, but Mommy wasn't... Seeing that my baby was going to be okay, I broke down a little, completely relieved that he was breathing and realizing how scary the whole ordeal was. Wes held both me and Tucker until Mommy calmed down. (If Wes had not been there, I think I would have called 911, that's how scared I was!)

After that, Tucker seemed much better. I sat in the bathroom with the hot water running to help loosen up his congestion and held Tucker upright on my chest for the rest of the night. I finally did doze off at some point. The next morning, I called our pediatrician as soon as the office opened. She saw us right away. After testing Tucker for H1N1 (negative, thank God!), checking his ears (everything's good there), and running some blood work, it turns out he has a viral infection (basically, a cold). While that's not necessarily good news, it is in that it's not something worse (like the flu or a respiratory thing -- his lungs sound great). The bad news is that there's nothing you can do to treat it other then let it run it's course... So, Mommy has been sleeping sitting upright with my Tucker Bug on my chest and we've been doing a regimen of saline drops, sitting in the bathroom with the hot water going, keeping him near the humidifier, and using a Vapor Rub plug-in, along with keeping him elevated as much as possible.

If a few sleepless nights is all it takes to keep Tucker breathing, it's completely worth it! However, after going through the scare we went through last night, I'm not sure when I'll be able to sleep soundly again...and if Tucker will ever make the transition to his crib. I can't even imagine him in a completely different room!

This picture shows how my Bubby feels...


And here's a picture of his 'boo-boo' from where the blood was drawn.


Even after all that, and not feeling well, Tucker's still smiling! :)

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Wheew! what a scare! I can imagine why are you so worried! It is so hard when they are so small and you can't do much for them! Stinks really! But you are doing everything you possibly can! Tucker is a lucky guy to have such great parents!

Mama Perks said...

Oh my gosh Tiff-while we haven't had a "scare" like this with Henry yet, I was feeling scared for you as I read this. Those moments where you feel helpless and those little eyes are looking back at you separate the "men from the boys" parents huh? Way to hang in there and be brave for Tucker-bug!

Stover's site said...

oh poor baby (mommy and tucker!) It's so scary! You handled your first of many "oh gosh I have no idea what to do" moments as a mom with patience and calmness. Good for you!